LAFOURCHE PARISH HEAD START is accepting applications for a Part -time Teacher Assistant for the Thibodaux Site.
Education Requirements – High school diploma or GED equivalent.
Must have a valid LA Driver’s License, at least 21 years of age preferred, pass a criminal background check, drug screen, TB test and lift and carry 25 or more pounds.
Teacher Assistant Salary: $9.75 per hour.
Job Summary: Works with the Teacher I to implement the Head Start Education Curriculum and Procedures and provide children with a positive learning environment and varied experiences which will help them develop: socially, intellectually, physically and emotionally in a manner appropriate to their age and stage of development toward the overall goal of social competence and school readiness. Also, promotes and encourages parent participation in the Head Start program.
Essential Responsibilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty at a high level. Not all possible tasks are included. Other additional departmental duties maybe assigned by the Manager or Supervisor of the department.
· Assists Teacher 1 to plan, maintain and change room arrangement for maximum utilization according to curriculum/studies in relations to the lesson plans.
· Assists Teacher 1 with duties to develop and carryout written yearly and daily activity plans for children to provide developmentally appropriate educational experiences that utilize all Program curriculum resources.
· Assists Teacher 1 to plan and utilize all educational materials, supplies, and equipment to provide child development and growth with regard to school readiness/ongoing observations and assessments; shares information with parents as per assignment.
· Encourages parent participation; assists Teacher 1to obtain documentation from in-kind derived from assigned area of responsibility.
· Eats meals with the children and encourages the development of good nutritional habits. Helps children, daily, learn about good healthy practices and implements oral/hygiene mandates: inclusive of tooth brushing and handwashing routines& habits.
· Establishes a positive working relationship with parents, staff and volunteers.
· Provides a safe, nurturing classroom environment for all children, and utilizes individual and small group teaching approaches. group A/B, school readiness, etc. (see A,B,C);
· Safe Supervision: indoors and outdoors i.e., when lining up, follow child
o counting protocol: one teacher in the front and one teacher in the back.
o Teacher go before children upon exiting/entering the class/room.
· Zoning: teachers work in assigned zones to insure proper supervision
o of the children at all times; follow Child Safe-Active Supervision Protocol.
· Review & sign Child Safe-Active Supervision and Monitoring Routines
· Maintains, daily, a clean/sanitized, safe learning environment, indoors/outdoors, in order to meet all safe practices and mandates. Ensures that toys and materials are sanitized properly, daily, and are submerged in water and sanitizing solution. Properly/safely store all cleaning/hazardous solutions/materials. Daily a.m. and p.m. Inspections are conducted before/after children are at the center. Safety issues are reported, immediately.
· Assists Teacher 1 to maintain all necessary records; remains updated on rules, regulations, and program appropriate teaching practices.
· Attends in-service and pre-service training programs.
· Performs other related duties as assigned by Supervisors.
· Attends Parent Orientation and any other after-hour program events (if/when mandatory).
· Ensures absolute confidentiality with respect to information and records concerning children and staff.
· Attends seminars and workshops related to Early Childhood Education, and monitors/completes approved Professional Development Plan requirements each school term.
· Uses vehicle to transport meals or deliver paperwork when necessary.
NOTE: All parish government employees in a declared emergency shall be considered essential personnel.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Education and experience:
A. High school graduate or GED equivalent.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Knowledge of appropriate early childhood practices
· Skill in operation of listed tools and equipment
· Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, other agencies, program participants, and the public; ability to communicate effectively orally and inwriting; ability to coordinate activities; ability to attend as well as ability to handle stressful situations.
A valid Louisiana Driver’s License or the ability to obtain one within 30 days of hire.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT
Personal computer skills, including software, Microsoft Office; copy machine; fax machine, laminating machine, telephone, and automobile.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, stoop, sit on floor and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk, run; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 35 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus when in the classroom with controlled conditions and outdoors barring extreme weather conditions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level is moderately noisy. The environment is generally in the classroom with controlled conditions and outdoors barring extreme weather conditions.
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job related tests and physical may be required.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
This job description does not constitute unemployment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Lafourche Parish Government is committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, genetic information, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, lawful alien status, national origin, age, marital status, and non-job related physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status.
For more information or to apply for this position, please visit Lafourche Parish website at www.lafourchegov.org. Deadline for submitting applications is Wednesday, May 31, 2023 by 5:00PM. Applications accepted at the Lafourche Government Complex, 402 Green St., Thibodaux; and Mathews Gov’t Complex, 4876 Hwy. 1, Mathews. Resumes received without applications will not be considered. EOE/ADA