Job Title: Education Manager
Reports To: Director of Head Start
FLSA Status: Exempt, Unclassified
Salary Range: Depends on Experience
Job Summary: Responsible for providing direction to Head Start and main office staff, including both full time and part time employees, to afford children with a learning environment and experiences that contribute to their development of school readiness abilities in all areas. Also responsible for the administration and implementation of the Education Component as stated in the Head Start Performance Standards.
Essential Responsibilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty at a high level. Not all possible tasks are included. Other additional departmental duties maybe assigned by the Manager or Supervisor of the department.
· Promoting best practices in early childhood development based on Head Start Performance Standards, State Classroom Assessment Measurement Tools, Louisiana Early Childhood Standards, Louisiana Early Learning Center Licensing Regulations, and other prescribed curricula and licensing mandates used at Lafourche Parish Head Start Centers.
· Developing the Education Component Plan based on the Head Start Performance Standards/Louisiana Early Childhood Standards; oversees the implementation of the Education Component Plan. The Education Manager works cooperatively with services and the education staff to organize the development of the plan and ensure all requirements are met.
· Observing and evaluating classroom assessments (with Formal CLASS Assessments) for all required staff (teachers);providing on-going support and feedback; visiting classrooms and acts as are source person to the educational staff.
· Planning training for all involved persons on the Head Start Performance Standards and curriculum components; using research strategies to develop and implement a sound educational plan.
· Working with the director to implement the policies and procedures necessary for the implementation of the Education Plan.
· Providing guidance to the management/education staff to ensure that the children are provided with a learning environment and varied appropriate experiences; working with teachers and all assigned staff regarding any problem they encounter in implementing an effective program.
· Teaching education staff how to: individualize programs, create a positive learning environment, implement the curriculum, assess child outcomes, and have good classroom management.
· Coordinating training and workshops for teachers; works with available community resources in planning and coordinating in-service and orientation programs in conjunction with regular faculty meetings.
· Assisting with maintaining records and documentation deemed necessary by Head Start regulations and licensing guidelines; maintains an up-to-date working knowledge of all Head Start and Louisiana State Licensing regulations regarding teacher credentials and maintaining current licensed status at all sites.
· Assisting with maintaining compliance with LA Licensing Bureau, the LA Board of Health, and LA State Fire Marshal regulations including maintenance of proper documentation at all sites.
· Assisting in obtaining licensing requirements for classroom extracurricular staff, i.e., Librarians, interns, and foster grandparents.
· Assisting with the preparation of the annual budget for Education component; approves purchase requisitions from assigned staff within budget availability and Head Start Guidelines.
· Assisting with the transition of kids to and from Head Start and maintains two years of retention data.
· Attending meetings as directed by supervisor; serves as an advocate for the Head Start program by promoting good public relations through serving on boards and committees as directed by supervisor.
· Assisting in completing annual grant opportunities, as well as locates and writes grants to support curriculum, physical layout, program quality, and other early childhood services.
· Ensuring absolute confidentiality with respect to information and records concerning families, children, and staff.
· Performing other related duties as assigned by supervisor.
· Operating a vehicle to visit classrooms and attend meetings.
· Attend seminars and workshops related to assigned areas of responsibility.
NOTE: All parish government employees in a declared emergency shall be considered essential personnel.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Supervises Center Directors, Head Start Coach and other positions designated by the Head Start Director.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Education and Experience:
A. A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Education from a college or university accredited by Louisiana Department of Education with Early Childhood coursework and Early Childhood teaching experience.
B. Advanced Degree Strongly Preferred
C. Certification to teach in a publicly-funded early learning center.
D. Certification in multiple areas to address both children and families.
E. Minimum of 3 years classroom experience.
F. Proven grant writing experience(Preferred)
G. Leadership certificate strongly (Preferred)
Necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
A. Working knowledge of computers; working knowledge of modern office practices and procedures.
B. Skill in operation of listed tools and equipment.
C. Ability to offer leadership and guidance; ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with employees, supervisors, other agencies, program participants, and the general public; ability to communicate effectively (orally and written); ability to handle stressful situations
D. Ability to travel when necessary
E. Knowledge of and ability to utilize community resources
F.CLASS Certified Status or ability to obtain within 1 calendar year.
A. Valid Louisiana Driver’s License or ability to obtain one.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Jobholders must be legally able to work in the United States.
Language Skills: Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to vendors, supervisors, the general public, and other employees of the Lafourche Parish Government.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written and oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk, and/or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk, use hands to handle objects, tools, or controls, and reach with hands and arms.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations maybe made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is moderately noisy.
Lafourche Parish Government is committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, genetic information, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, lawful alien status, national origin, age, marital status, and non-job related physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status.