Purpose of Lafourche Parish Coastal Zone Management
As per the Lafourche Parish Code of Ordinances Section 19:401 A
- Recognize the value in natural coastal ecosystems.
- Protect, restore and enhance the coastal zone as a natural storm barrier, flood control system, and water infiltration system;
- Protect, restore and enhance the coastal zone as a habitat for wildlife, an aquatic resource, an aesthetic resource, a parish, state and national resource, and a historic cultural resource.
- Protect, restore and enhance the coastal zone as a legacy to future generations.
- Recognize the value in coastal-dependent commercial activity.
- Promote coordinated development within the coastal zone.
- Promote conflict resolution arising from multiple, competing uses.
- Promote recreational uses (respect private property) and monitor public access within the coastal zone.
- Balance these values in Lafourche Parish to allow current and future residents the opportunity to enjoy the multiple benefits and cultural values associated with a healthy coastal zone.
- Foster the public safety, health and welfare of Lafourche Parish residents.